Recently, lots of gamers have been experiencing issues with their network settings. One of the most common issues is having a Strict or even Moderate NAT type. It can be pretty frustrating, as it prevents you from enjoying your favourite online games. However, there is a way to fix this issue and enjoy your favourite games without any problems. Today, we will discuss how to check your NAT type on pc.
The type of NAT you have will determine what games you can play. For the most part, the settings should be automatic, but sometimes it is necessary to check and manually configure your NAT settings if it is not performing right. These instructions will focus on checking and configuring your NAT type via a Windows computer.
In this article, I will briefly cover the basic idea of each NAT type so that anyone interested will be able to improve their gaming experience.
What is NAT?
NAT stands for Network Address Translation, which routers use to connect devices on a local network to the internet. When the PS4 communicates with other consoles or services on the internet, it identifies with a NAT type that indicates how restrictive your router or gateway is.
It essentially acts as a translator between the public IP address of your router and the private IP addresses assigned to each connected device.
How to check Nat type on pc?
For PC, you will need to check your NAT type by following the steps below manually.
- Open the command prompt. You can do so by searching for CMD in your windows search bar.
- Type “ipconfig” and hit enter. You should see a list of different items, including Default Gateway.
- Take note of all four numbers that make up your Default Gateway listed under the IPv4 Address on the first line (e.g., 192.168.1.1). Remove any periods, and write down the number from left to right (e.g., 192168101).
- Go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup, and enter the number you just wrote down into the search bar at the top of the website.
- Go Go! will bring you to a page with information about your IP address, including what region your IP address is registered in and where it is likely geolocated (the “ISP” tab).
- Make sure that this location matches where you are currently located. Or have been playing games recently, as that’s how it determines what NAT type you have from the information provided by your IP address.
How to check Nat type on Xbox One?
You can check the NAT type on your Xbox One by following these steps:
- Make sure your console is connected to the internet.
- Go to Settings > All Settings > Network > Advanced Settings.
- Check the NAT Type box.
- If you don’t see the NAT Type box, you may need to update your software version.
- You should now see which NAT type you have. It will be one of three options: Open, Moderate, or Strict. If you have Moderate or Strict, here are some things to try:
- If you are using a wireless connection for your console, try connecting it directly to your modem with an ethernet cable instead of wireless.
- Many routers use multiple frequencies (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), and connecting to the 2.4 GHz band can cause interference from other devices in your home.
- However, it causes lag and possibly a Moderate or Strict NAT type if some information cannot get through all that interference on that frequency band.
- Try switching your router over to 5GHz, or connect straight through an ethernet cable if you can do so easily.
How to check Nat type on PlayStation 4
You can check your NAT type on your PlayStation 4 by performing a connection test on your console.
1. Press the PlayStation button to access the home screen.
2. Select Settings > Network > Test Internet Connection.
3. Wait for the results of the connection test to display. The NAT type field displays the detected type of NAT on your network.
NAT Type 1 (Open)
If you’re connected to a network through your ISP, you’ll likely have an open NAT, which means you can chat and connect with other players online without any issues.
NAT Type 2 (Moderate)
Some things may work if you have a moderate NAT, but others may not, depending on how strict or lenient your router is. You’ll likely be able to chat and connect with other players online without any issues.
Still, you might encounter connectivity problems when trying to join other players’ games or host your own game online.
When playing online, you may see a NAT Type 2 message even if you have an open NAT, which means there are no connectivity issues. You should be able to play all multiplayer games as intended, regardless of this message.
NAT Type 3 (Strict)
Having a strict NAT type can cause problems with playing games, using applications such as voice chat, and accessing PlayStation Network. If you’re having trouble with your NAT type, here’s how to check it on your PS4 and what to do about it.
The PlayStation 4 can communicate with other consoles over the internet and offers a variety of network features that rely on a strong connection to the PlayStation Network. However, an excessively restrictive NAT type can cause problems when connecting your PS4 console to other players or services.
How to change your NAT type?
Here are the steps you can take to change your NAT type:
- Go to the Start Menu, then click on Control Panel.
- Now select “Network and Internet”
- Next hit on ‘Network and Sharing Center”
- Below Change your networking settings
- Select Set up a new network, then go through the following steps. It will create a new network in your house.
- Navigate back to Network and Sharing Center
- Now select the option “Change adapter settings”
- Right-click on your internet connection, then select Properties.
- Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option
- Now select “Properties”
- In the General tab, click the “Use the following IP address” option and fill in the following IP address: 192.168.1.100. The Subnet mask should automatically fill in with 255.255.255.0 as long as you correctly type in the IP address. Click OK to save your changes, then close out this menu and restart your computer.
How to change the NAT type on the router?
Dealing with NAT can be a pain, especially if you’re the type of person that likes to host your servers for games. If your NAT type is moderate or strict, some features of the games you play may not work until you switch it to open. However, it would help if you had a router that supports UPnP for this to happen.
UPnP stands for Universal Plug and Play, and it’s a network protocol that allows devices like PCs to discover each other and communicate over the network. If you have a router that supports it, changing your NAT type shouldn’t be more difficult than enabling it in the device’s settings.
Not all routers support the UPnP option since most of them will restrict it by default because of security reasons. However, older routers or ones with custom firmware might support it. It all depends on the model and the firmware version.
If your router doesn’t support UPnP, the only way is to change your NAT type. Either by manually forwarding ports on your router or replacing the router entirely with one that supports UPnP.
FAQs on How to check NAT type on pc
How to check your NAT Type in Windows 10?
- Go to https://www.xbox.com/en-US/networking and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Go to Test NAT type.
- Follow the steps in Troubleshoot your Xbox Live connection on Xbox 360 or Test network settings on Xbox One to test your console’s connection. Note down any errors that you see.
- If you see Teredo is unable to qualify, we recommend that you visit Teredo can’t connect or Teredo is unable to qualify if you need help troubleshooting this error.
- After you complete the troubleshooting steps, check your NAT type again.
How do you fix your NAT?
It is good to check to see if your NAT is open or not for the best multiplayer gaming experience. The steps below will help you diagnose whether your issue is a problem with your connection to these services or not. (valortechnicalcleaning.com)
- The Xbox Live Connection Service Test
- To test the connection from the Xbox console:
- On the console, sign in using your Xbox Live Gamertag.
- Press the Guide button on the controller.
- Go to Settings and select System Settings.
- Select Network Settings.
- Choose your wireless network or Wired Network if connected via Ethernet cable.
- Select Test Xbox Live Connection. If a NAT warning appears, select Configure Network.
Conclusion on How to check NAT type on pc
You would need to check NAT type if you wanted to host multiplayer games on PC, either through Steam or a dedicated server. In that case, you’ll want to make sure that your NAT type isn’t set to “Strict,” as that can cause problems with connectivity and packet loss.
However, I hope you like the information provided in this article and it helped you resolve your problem. If you have any doubts or queries regarding the above guide, please let us know in the comment section below. We will be happy to help you out. Thanks for reading.