Like I told some people few days back, sales of old Facebook accounts is becoming a profitable business in some major online forums like Blackhatworld and Nairaland. So many online fraudsters and scammers are on the loose searching for aged Facebook accounts to buy or hack in order to carry out their online scams. If your facebook account is less secured with tips I gave on previous post, then your facebook account will be an easy target to hackers.
If you have taking your time to secure your Facebook account with the tips I gave on my previous post, well, congratulations. You are out of the risk of being hacked. This post is actually for those that have got their Facebook account hacked already, and are searching for means to recover their hacked Facebook accounts. So, how do you recover hacked Facebook account? You can see three steps on how to do that below.
Note: Once you noticed that your Facebook account has been hacked, no matter the step you choose here to recover the account back; delay can be dangerous. Act fast before the hacker locks you out completely with zero chance of getting the account back.
Also read: best free VPN Apps for Android 2018
Forgot Password Technique
This is the most easiest way to recover hacked Facebook account. This method can only work if the hacker changed the password to the account but the associated email address or phone number is still the same. If that is the case, then do these to recover your hacked Facebook account within 24 hours:
- Go to Facebook and click on the Forgot Password option
- Enter your email or mobile number or username in the text box and hit search. In case you don’t know how and what your Username looks like. It is the unique Facebook identity that you can see in your profile URL. Example: https://www.facebook.com/hunter.9.
Here Airdrop.hunter.9 is the username of Airdrop Hunter (a sample Facebook account created to show you what username looks like).
- Once you have Clicked Search key, you should be able to see your profile with recovery email address and mobile number if any. Select mobile number or email address that you can access right now and then click Continue.
- Check your mailbox if you choose email / mobile inbox if you choose mobile number to get the recovery code. Enter the recovery code to continue
- You are done. Just create any password and get your account back in few hours.
2: No Access to Associated Email Address Technique
This step involves when the hacker changed your Facebook password and you don’t have access to the email address linked to the Facebook account. Maybe you have lost the login password and phone number used for the email address. Here is what to do to recover the hacked Facebook account.
- Go to Facebook Forgot Password option
- Enter your email or mobile number or username or namein the text box and click search.
- Click “No longer have access to these?” at the bottom of the reset password dialog box.
You will be shown a page with various means of recovering the account back. Below are some of the expected recovery options.
Answer Security Question: Though this option is not available for new Facebook accounts but still a viable means of getting your Facebook account back. For old Facebook users, you can answer this question to proceed to set a new password if it is listed as one of the extended recovery options.
Using Trusted Contacts: I this case, you will be shown some of your Facebook contacts you previously chose (only if you added some contacts before the account was hacked) as your Trusted Contacts. To do this:
- Enter a new email address or phone that you know you can access and click Continue.
- Click Reveal My Trusted Contacts and type the full name of one of your trusted contacts.
- You’ll see a set of instructions that includes a URL. The URL contains a special security code that only your trusted contacts can access. Just call your friends and give them the URL so that they can open the link and give the security code to you.
- Use the security codes from your trusted contacts to access your account.
Also read: 10 Must Have Apps For Iphone
3: Password and Associated Email Address Changed
In this case, the hacker changed your password and the email address linked to the Facebook account. You can only recover your Facebook account using two methods- using mobile number or old email address. You should either have access to the linked mobile number or old email address. Okay, the email address recovery option here is somehow difficult but also a viable means or recovering your hacked Facebook account within 24 hours
Recover using Mobile Number
- Go to Facebook Forgot Password option
- Enter your mobile number in the text box and click search.
- You should see your profile with recovery email address and mobile number if any. Select mobile number or email address that you can access right now and then click Continue.
- Select your mobile number and then click Continue.
- Check your mobile inbox for recovery code and enter the recovered code in the given text box.
- That’s all. Set your new password of your Facebook account.
Recover using Email Change Notification
As I mentioned in the beginning of the post, once you noticed that your Facebook account has been compromised, act fast before he/she locks you out completely. This method can only work if you act within few days that the account was hacked. Delay can be dangerous here. Here’s what to do:
- Login to your email account (email that you have given on Facebook) and search for emails from Facebook about the change of email address. Usually, that email subject would be “Facebook primary email changed to”.
- Click “If you didn’t do this, please secure your account.” link in that email.
- You will be prompted to “Secure your account“, click continue to proceed.
- In next step, there might be a variety of recovery options given depending upon your account and security.
- Upload an ID: You should upload a government ID through the given steps. A Facebook representative will verify it and activate your account and also will notify about it in email
- Verify your Date of Birth:You should enter your date of birth to proceed to your Facebook account.
- Guess your friends using their photos:You need to select 5 friends name out of 7 by seeing their photos.
The above steps in recovering your hacked Facebook account works perfectly, depending on the condition of the hacked account at the time of trying to recover it. The condition determines the best step to take in recovering the account. For instance: if the hacker changed only your password, without changing the associated email address (and you still have access to the associated email), STEP ONE is your best bet to get the account back.
If the password was changed and the associated email address or phone number remained the same but you don’t have access to the email address again or phone number, STEP TWO will be helpful here.
Now, in a situation whereby both the password and the associated email address have been changed by the hacker, all you have to do is follow the guidelines on STEP THREE.