From attaining process efficiency to gaining visibility into the supply chain and decreasing general transport costs -choosing the right software system benefits you in many ways. One such software system or solution which plays a central role in supply chains is the transportation management system. The transportation management system, popularly known as TMS, has become a key tool in today’s growingly competitive and complex transportation landscape. These systems, which are usually integrated with warehouse management software and supply chain suites, affect every part of the transportation operations. With the help of a TMS, you can not only decrease transportation costs but also enhance performance which will result in increased customer satisfaction.
With so many TMS solutions available in the market today, it can be challenging to choose the system that fit just right for your company. Beginning the search for a TMS system and finding one check off all your company’s needs is easier said than done. And that is exactly why we’re here to help! We provide you with the top features to look for while choosing a transportation management system. visit here
- Powerful optimization engine Although there are a lot of TMS solutions available in the market, not many are equipped with powerful optimization engines. An optimization engine helps you create the most optimized route plans that will eliminate multiple delivery constraints. It also focuses on creating route plans that maximize the vehicle’s capacity and save cost.
- Real-time Tracking Your transportation management system should feature tracking capabilities for products that will provide a comprehensive view of each and every stage involved in the transportation process. Make sure that your TMS provides an enhanced accuracy rate of monitoring and tracking and facilitates efficient management. In addition, it should also offer automated notifications about events on the road.
- Integration Incorporating the TMS information with other inner data sources like ERP and WMS or OMS will provide approximately real-time visibility for businesses into products right from purchase through inventory and transportation. With this, the manufacturers and distributors aim to offer a more all-inclusive view of warehouse and shipping processes that should in turn result in better planning and coordination.
- Business Intelligence One of the biggest advantages of business intelligence over regular spreadsheets is that they can provide you with an array of custom reports. Reports are the simplest means to convey and comprehend important information. Your TMS should be equipped with reporting tools such as dashboards and charts along with specialized maps for analyzing patterns of shipping. They are key in analyzing trends.
- Security While a TMS system should have sufficient backup processes, it should also ensure the protection of the business from data breaches. Maintaining safety and security for consumers is a must-have. Key statistics should be accessible only to approved users. As for outside users, they should be able to access the system through invitation. It should come with security management software which will detect unauthorized changes- both hardware and software- with the management of the profile.
In today’s day and age, consumers expect to receive what they want, when they want it. Keeping up with the increased demands of consumers will put unprecedented pressure on businesses. And that pressure is felt more in the supply chain as the physical movement of goods is critical here. In that case, seeking the help of a reliable transportation management company like Ramco which has over 25 years of experience in the field will be a powerful move to optimize your supply chain performance.