What Is A Section 60i Certificate?


    In recent years, mediation has been a prerequisite for resolving family law conflicts. For example, separating couples are required by the applicable law, the Family Law Act of 1975, to demonstrate to the court that they have made a sincere effort to address the conflict through mediation or family dispute resolution.

    What Is A Section 60i Certificate In Australia?

    It is generally agreed that before filing a case with the Family Court, parents should attempt to settle their differences through a recognised family certificate in the mediation programme. In the set of conditions specified below, accredited family mediators (often referred to as Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) practitioners) may grant Section 60I certificates to parents. A parent in Australia can start Family Court proceedings after they have a Section 60I certificate, either on their own or through a family lawyer. A parent can seek support from the International Family Mediation team at International Social Service (ISS) Australia if they require help finding a family lawyer. The following information about Section 60I certificates has been produced by ISS Australia.

    There are five different types of Section 60I Certificates that one of our mediators can issue. These are mentioned below for your reference:

    1. You did not attend the mediation because your former partner refused or did not attend,
    2. You did not attend because the Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner advised you that your dispute was not suitable,
    3. You did not attend, and neither you nor your former partner made a real effort to resolve the problem.
    4. You attended the mediation, but neither the other party nor you made a serious effort to resolve the disputes.
    5. On the suggestion of the Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner, you and your ex-partner began mediation but did not complete it.

    How long does a section 60i certificate last?

    Within 12 months of the last attendance or attempted attendance at FDR, a section 60I certificate might be granted. Similarly, a certificate can be filed with the Court only if it was issued within 12 months of the last FDR or attempted FDR. The topics under disagreement and people’s sentiments generally change over time, which may necessitate another try at FDR, and these time limits account for this.

    When is family mediation necessary?

    When separated parents cannot agree on the care, welfare, and well-being of their children, a mediation certificate is a preferred technique in Australia. Mediation is carried out in Australia by Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) practitioners who have been accredited by the Commonwealth Attorney General’s Department under the Family Law Act 1975. (Cth).

    Unless they receive a Section 60I certificate or an exception applies to their situation, parents cannot commence actions in the Australian Family Court. Parties seeking to modify an existing Parenting Order are included. If FDR is not appropriate for the situation, a Section 60I certificate can be given. This could indicate that there are worries about family violence, the safety of the parties or risks to children, each party’s ability to communicate, or other factors that the practitioner believes are significant.

    Section 60I certificates enable persons to apply to the court but have no evidence value. You must understand that the courts may assess costs against a party for failing to appear or making a sincere effort. There is no requirement under the Family Law Act to issue a section 60I certificate to everyone involved in the FDR procedure if just one person requests one.


    I am the one who loves to read and also has a special interest in writing. I have written for many websites and shared my views with the reader. I have always received warmth and love from my audience. I hope you will love my work too.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here